Saturday, June 4, 2011

biking 'round prague.


This is becoming slightly outdated and I apologize. Having to do a blog for school and this one is proving to be really time consuming. And the one for school doesnt really say much about anything other than the photo. 

Well anyways, so we took a bike tour of the city last Friday and it proved to be a pretty hair-raising experience. Led by my professor, we went motor scooter and small vehicle dodging all over the cobblestoned city. 

Thankfully it proved to be pretty uneventful for me despite my Murphy's Law for bicycling. I only almost hit just ONE person and my chain came off. It was pretty chilly that morning, so it was actually a lovely ride. Prague is pretty flat, so unlike Texas, we weren't riding uphill both ways. 

We saw a lot of architecture, but it pretty much all blurs together for me at this point! 

So here were the highlights:
Sculpture by David Cerny
 These black babies sit/crawl on a spot outside one of the modern art museums. They are giant and have faces that are a combination between a barcode and a punched in cartoon character face. 
Here's a closeup - not my picture

They also crawl up this russian radio tower. - also not my picture
Cerny is the creator of the Meet Factory, the place I'm doing my photo documentary on, so it's pretty nifty that his popular and controversial work is all over the city.

 Here's another one of his pieces we stopped by. The two men pee in a pool that's the shape of the Czech Republic.


David Cerny sculpture
On a more peaceful note, we stopped by to see the Lennon Wall. It gets painted and repainted every day by various "artists" around the city. Generally speaking, its a peaceful protest wall with Beatles' quotes.

Lennon Wall


And last but not least, we pedaled over a bridge to get to the Lennon Wall, that was covered in padlocks. It's tradition for sweethearts to lock their love to the bridge and throw away the key. It's not just here, apparently it's starting on the Brooklyn bridge and other places in the US too, but I'd say it's more popular here. Overall, PDA is more popular here!
Padlocks of Love


Late Insert: I dont know how I could have forgotten this, but Friday night I went to a Czech drag show. Men in women's clothes in Czech. What more could you ask for?!



I spent all of last Saturday spending time with Joshua, the artist that lives at the Meet Factory that I'm doing my documentary on. We're getting along quite swell, so I'm excited about the project!

1 comment: