Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Brews and Rendezvous

Note: Starting today, I have to incorporate the academic part into my blog, so there'll be a bit more photo explanation. 



Around Here: Czech fashionisto running to catch the tram.
 Monday got off to a pretty rough start. My roommates and I went to get breakfast, and I got lost...again. I was taking pictures, I turned around, and they were gone. We were out exploring the area near our house, so it wasn't too far away from home. In the meantime, I did snap a couple cool shots of people doing stuff around the church 2 blocks away.

I hopped into a Czech bakery, knowing that delicious pastries and sandwiches awaited me. Overwhelmed with freshly baked aromas, I decided to ask for help. I spotted a man wearing a Key West shirt, immediately assuming he spoke English -- after all, he had been to Key West. BIG MISTAKE. I asked him if he spoke English, he said a little bit, but at that point, I was too committed to back back into my comfort zone. I told him politely that I wanted to know what he suggested ordering. He then proceeded to start yelling at me, telling me that there was no way he could know what I would want to eat, and so how could he possibly help me. I said pastry, he didnt understand. I said breakfast, he didnt understand. I said BREAK-FAST, he understood and told me to order anything I wanted. Helpful....not. Then he said something in Czech to the woman behind the counter, mostly likely mean, and walked out. I just pointed to something with cheese, paid for it and left. I was so upset I started welling up in the bakery, pathetic, I know. With all my rough encounters these first couple days, I've been feeling rather unstable!

Because all I managed to order was a snack, I stopped by this Italian restaurant for lunch. For 130 CZK   ($7.25), I got a HUGE plate of gnocchi with spinach and gorgonzola cheese -- it was delicious.

Then we had a brief meeting about our blogs, and went down to have orientation at the school, CET. CET is located near Old Town Square (the city center) and we live about 10 minutes away by tram. I'm beginning to learn the tram system, thankfully, I havent taken the wrong one again...yet.

After our orientation, we went to a brewery/monastery to have our welcome dinner. I ordered Grilled Vegetables and Goat Cheese -- completely heavenly, and totally picturesque.

The brewery was located at the top of "the hill", so you could see the whole city. It was completely breathtaking. We had a lovely meal and then walked down the hill through the castle at night.


Wish You Were Here: View of the City from the Brewery


As we walked down the hill, it was getting dark and I got another stunning view of Prague.

The Nocturnalist: View of City from on top of the hill near the Castle 


Angels in the Architecture: getting a sneak-peek of the Castle over some buildings. 

Sense of place: The illustrious cathedral of the Castle. This is just the doorway, you can see the scale. 


As we continued to walk down the hill from the castle, there was an overlook. I think Prague could give Paris a run for its money for the "City of Lights" title. 

The Nocturnalist: Well-lit Prague peeking over a castle wall. 


We continued to make the trek down "the hill" taking photos all along the way. 

The Nocturnalist: Group walk down the hill


Even though it was off to a rough start, it ended quite well. I'm really beginning to love the city, and the people are growing on me....slowly. We've learned a couple of Czech words -- Hello, Thank you, Excuse me, Do you speak English?...you know, the essentials. The Czechs really appreciate our feeble attempts to speak/butcher their language. 

If you'd like to practice Czech in your spare time, just clear your throat a couple times. You've probably said something really thought-provoking. 

Stay tuned, the summer's just begun. Dekuji! (DEH-Kwee) ie. thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment